Sion Wyn 7s (Mach 7s) | Senior Men W - L Newtown RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
12 August 2018 / Team News


Wow ! we had a great day on Saturday, that is a tough days rugby, on paper it said Newtown took two teams but in reality they took one squad the lads were fantastic and supported each other throughout the whole tournament.

Days like that don’t happen by accident they happen because of hard work and preparation, the core of the squad started 7’s training with Dai Roberts in June and fitness training with N-MAC in July. The players deserve a huge amount of credit, in the intensity of the big games they were organised, clinical and calm, they passed, defended and kicked with absolute precision, they were the best team on the day and in the big moments they didn’t buckle they executed under pressure, they made you proud to be a Newtown supporter, it’s not very often we get a W over Aberystwyth.

Sion Wyn 7’s Match Report
Once again the standard of the teams was very high with town coming up against Aberystwyth, LLangefni, Aberaron and Dolgellau in their group.
Town overcame Aberystwyth in their first game then went on to put in a disappointing performance in their 2nd match, losing to Aberaeron convincingly. The team picked themselves up and went on to beat a very good Llangefni side before finishing their pool games with a convincing win over Dolgellau to finish second in their group.
Newtown then faced Machynlleth in the Quarter Finals, going through at a canter with a 31 points to 5 victory, this then set up the re-match against the tournament favourites and so far unbeaten Aberaeron.

This fixture wouldn’t have been out of place as the final. Aberaeron started confidently and got the first score, going 5 nil up with a try out wide, they then went on to miss the crucial conversion with their drop kick at goal falling short.
Aberaeron had the possession and territory but Town were composed in defence and grew in confidence and it was that pressure in defence which caused Aberaeron to give away a crucial penalty. Ben Squibb who covered every blade of grass on the pitch earned the vital turnover which Josh Jones kicked to within 5 meters of the Aberaeon line. From a planned move at the lineout Josh Jones burst through to score in the corner. Will Holloway stepped forward and coolly kicked the conversion to put Town 7 :5 up at half time.

The second half became a tense affair as both sides tested each other’s defence knowing that any mistake could lose them the game. It was Aberaron who broke the deadlock as their 13 and player of the tournament showed his blistering pace to pick a small gap in the Newtown line and glide through to score. Aberaeron converted to put them 12 points to 7 ahead.
Newtown refused to panic and spread their thin red line across the pitch smothering Aberaeron who were starting to run out of ideas, it was now that Newtown’s fitness was starting to show as they turned the tables on Aberaeron and with the pressure building Aber’s defence cracked with Rhys Williams scoring the crucial try in the corner to make it all square at 12 points each.
With the kick at goal out wide and the pressure on, team Captain Will Holloway stepped up to slot over the drop kick to put Newtown in front, and break Aberaeron hearts. 
Newtown played out the final minute in possession on the Aberaeron 22 and with the final play Twm Jones sealed a huge comeback from Newtown to score under the posts. Final score 19:12

After such a breathless Semi Final the Final was now set up as a re-run of last year’s Final where Aberystwyth were convincing winners over Newtown. This year however the tables were turned and it was Newtown who finished the tournament the stronger.
Town opened the scoring early in the first half with Dafydd Thomas taking a pass on the wing to run in and touch down. Holloway added the two pints to put Newtown 7 points up. Town didn’t look back with Newtown’s player of the tournament Josh Jones putting in a complete performance in defence and attack, it was his break that set up Huw Spear to score Newtown’s second try under the posts. Will Holloway kicked the conversion to put Town 14 nil up at half time.
it was Aberystwyth who scored first in the second half to close the gap to 14 : 5 , but Town had more in the tank and they bounced straight back with a well worked move as Kai Lewis put Jac Beynon-Thomas into space to run in and score. Will Holloway kicked the extras to complete the scoring as Newtown ran out winners 21 points to 5.
Player Coach Jac Beynon-Thomas was delighted with the win " We would like to thank Machynlleth RFC for putting on a great tournament, this is the first time for many years that we have entered two sides, we have a great squad of young players, our Juniors and the Youths at Newtown are doing a fantastic job of turning out talent. . I would like to thank all the Players and our Team Managers Gareth Williams and Twm Jones for their efforts, we’re looking forward to coming back next year to have another go "

While we did enter two teams, the sides mixed and matched thought the day and though a win eluded the 2nd team all the games were close.Everyone played and without everyone the team wouldn’t have won, that’s the moto the boys played by.
And finally I must mention our lads who picked up injuries Will Wittingham and Dylan Leach, we wish them both a speedy recovery.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos